Friday, January 3, 2014

U.L.P. – Unintentional Lameness Projection



I’ve made up a silly acronym to talk about something serious.  What I’m talking about is when you make someone else feel like a loser through inaction and lack of communication.  Something we all do and we’re all subjected to.  And I think it’s one of those life lessons we need to learn and relearn. 

Example # 1 – During this very cold December, my apartment was without heat.  About a month and a half ago, the gas company red-tagged my wall heater.  Don’t worry, I have a space heater and blankets and a higher tolerance for cold than most, so I was fine.  But it was bothering me that it’s taking the landlady so long to fix it, especially during such a cold month.  I called her, and I could tell she felt bad and, frankly, embarrassed.  Seems that the heaters in over half of the units had to be replaced, and it’s $3,000 a pop.  And she didn’t say this specifically, but I’m guessing a $50,000 price tag was a bit steep for the building owner all in one month.  And she did say that they were focusing on the apartments with kids first.

Now, again, I’m fine.  But it’s the lack of communication that bothers me.  And the main problem is not my landlady’s fault – she’s stuck with what the building owner is willing or able to do.  But her error is in letting her awkwardness or embarrassment keep her from calling me and letting me know what’s going on.  Because that’s all I really want.  But her lack of dealing with me properly sent me the message that I’m just a peon renter and that I’m not important.

Example # 2 – I was at the grocery store about 6 months ago.  I had all of my items on the conveyor belt, when the line stopped moving.  I didn’t know what was going on at first, but about 5 minutes went by, and the cashier studiously avoided my gaze.  It turned out that what happened was the shopper in front of me had decided to go grab ‘one more thing’.  And the cashier was stuck there waiting longer and longer.  The cashier was put in an awkward position.  And if she’d just turned to me and explained what was going on or somehow acknowledged me, then I would have been fine.  But instead she ignored me, which made me feel like crap.  And it happened to be on a day when it was the last straw and it jacked up the rest of my day.

We all do this.  Sometimes it’s when you’ve been meaning to call someone, and then you feel bad that you’ve taken so long, so you postpone doing it some more.  Okay, you’re feeling bad about not calling, but you’re also making them feel like they’re not worth your time.  And you know that if you call them and tell them that you were doing the thing where you weren’t calling because you felt bad about not calling, you’ll probably both laugh about it – because we’ve all done it.

Or at a party, when you don’t say hello to someone because you ‘don’t want to bother them’.  You may be doing it because you feel shy or insecure.  But the message they may be receiving is that you’re too good to talk to them.

I was at a party recently, and someone I only know as an acquaintance was about to leave, when she looked over and noticed me.  She stopped and walked across the room just to say hello to me.  I felt like a million bucks.

So the next time you’re feeling shy or embarrassed or awkward, and there’s a chance that someone else could take that the wrong way, just take the time to communicate with them.  Swallow your pride or insecurity or whatever and try to see that lack of communication from their side.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah R. Schulz I agree that he is right on the money, but I also think that us introverts get labeled with this a lot, and it sometimes makes it even harder for us to try to reach out the next time. Communication in general is the key, as Matt says, I think; not whether we speak to someone at a party or pick up the phone when they call.
    January 3 at 9:55pm · Like · 1
    Melinda Mages Yes, I am an introvert myself so that is a good point. However, as the introvert, I have more often then not, been the one to feel ignored or left out. I think the message here is to just to be careful not to intentionally cause others to feel as though they are less than. My motto is always to try to treat others as I would want to be treated.
    January 3 at 10:00pm · Like
    Sarah R. Schulz I spent 20 years trying to do that, and ended up feeling spent, neglected, and worthless. My point is merely that I don't think worrying about what other people think necessarily leads to more connection and love; very ofen it leads instead to guilt, condemnation and shame. The fact that I now feel okay screening my calls when I'm busy is a sign of healthy relationships with others and myself and God--not something I need to correct. Communication is key--not living up to others' expectations.
    January 3 at 10:03pm · Like
    Melinda Mages I didn't think of it that way. I love the way you look at something from all sides and bring out other perspectives that I never thought of Sarah! I don't think it's good to worry in general. I agree with you and I'm not saying to people please. I'...See More
    January 3 at 10:16pm · Like
    Linda Proffitt Mages Wow!! So well written!!! So you made him feel like a million bucks just by giving him your attention and saying hello!!! Wonderful!!! 💕
    January 4 at 8:01am via mobile · Like · 1
    Dori Langer Mages It brings to mind when the kitchen is "backed up" with orders in a restaurant. If the server would tell us the situation, it projects more tolerance than impatience. But, I think of many people's lack of being able to inform as more of a social skil...See More
    January 4 at 8:47am via mobile · Like · 1
    Sarah R. Schulz Melinda, thank you--your thoughts (and Matt's in the post) have sparked some good New Year's thoughts in me about how I want to approach people this year. Learning to love by connecting (both listening and speaking up myself) rather than following "rules" of loving. Definitely going to read Brene Brown's book about communicating this year (Daring Greatly). These comments inspired me more. Thank you again!
    January 4 at 10:55am · Like · 2

    ReplyDelete