Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Bad Hugs



A friend of mine recently posted this this article.

I don’t really want to talk about that.  Frankly, my guy friends and I have no problem hugging each other.  We hug all the time – good, firm, bear hugs.  Manly hugs.

What I do want to talk about is when girls give bad hugs.  This article talks about how men have backed off from being physically affectionate because they don’t want to come across as creepy.  But what makes me feel creepy is the way some women hug me.

Let me explain.  Some women give perfectly good hugs.  But some women, for whatever reason, give A-frame hugs.  An A-frame hug is when you lean way forward when you’re hugging, so there’s as little contact as possible.  This to me defeats the purpose of the hug.  When I hug someone, my inclination is to give a full hug.  I don’t always wrap my arms completely around the person, but I would say my hugs are boisterous, attempting to show, through physical contact, how I feel about the person.  There is a squeezing, a drawing in of the other person.

But the way some women hug, it’s as if they’re afraid that I’m going to cop a feel.  Please.  As if I’m going to be turned on by my chest pressing against yours for a couple of seconds.

Look, I know there are creepy guys out there, or even guys that you don’t know well enough to decide if you want to give them a real hug.  I get it.  I don’t want to hug those people either.  But if you know the person, and you know they’re not creepy, then why not express your affection in a real, full hug?

Because not doing so sends the message that you think they’re creepy.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean Matt, I will say that down here in Brazil, hugs and kisses on the cheeks are very common place within the culture, and I find almost no woman that gives bad hugs down here, seriously it's like they are more comfortable in their bodies on average. But I can relate to your post here because growing up in LA I have experienced many 'bad' hugs from woman whom I had no other other intentions than just showing a healthy level of affection with.

    abraços (hugs in Portuguese)

    ReplyDelete