Monday, January 6, 2014

Thoughts on "Frozen"

At this point, I'd have to say my favorite movie this year is Frozen.  Gravity affected me more while I was watching it, but Frozen is the movie I'm still thinking about weeks later.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it, for the beautiful animation and the well-written songs performed by mostly broadway types, plus the terrific Kristen Bell.  But more than anything else, I recommend it for the messages it sends.  In a media landscape where the amoral is celebrated more and more, it's refreshing to see a movie speak some important truths.

***Spoiler Alert***

Don't go any further if you haven't seen the movie.

Thought # 1 - I love how Anna falls head over heels in love with Hans, and they truly seem to be compatible and perfect for each other.  And their early scenes and especially their duet gives not one hint that they're not actually right for each other.  It's a depiction of early romantic love that rings true - that feeling that everything is perfect and it always will be and I just know we'll be happy forever and anyone who says differently just doesn't understand how big my feeling are.

Only, they're not meant to be together.  I actually was a little confused in the theater when Anna met Kristoff.  Because she already had her guy - why are they now setting up a second romantic interest?

I think what's great about this is that it shows what so often happens.  People fall in love and think they're 'soul-mates', and ignore the warnings of others, or ignore obvious signs or don't take the time to see if those signs manifest to begin with.  I'm so happy that a Disney film has a heroine that is mistaken in the same way that most people are at some point in their lives, and I think it's positive to reflect that reality on the screen, where it can stand as a cautionary tale.

Thought # 2 - The main message of the film, to me, is that love is about self-sacrifice.  And between this and The Hunger Games, I think it's inspiring to see heroines who are more concerned about other people than about their own romantic self-interest.

Thought # 3 - I missed this in the theater, but caught it on the soundtrack.  On the song 'Fixer Upper', the trolls are singing to Anna about how Kristoff is a bit of a fixer-upper, but basically a good guy.  And while you might get the impression that they're saying she can fix his flaws, the real message is that people change for the better when they're in a loving environment:

"We’re not saying you can change him, ‘cuz people don’t really change
We’re only saying that love’s a force that’s powerful and strange
People make bad choices if they’re mad, or scared, or stressed
Throw a little love their way (throw a little love their way) and you’ll bring out their best
True love brings out their best! "

Thought # 4 - I've read several reviews of the film, and some have pointed out that there is no true villain.  I completely disagree.  Elsa is the villain.  She creates a monster ( on purpose ) that very nearly kills Anna and Kristoff.   And if not for Anna finally breaking though to her, I think you're looking at someone who would grow more icy and withdrawn with time until in her solitude, she truly would become evil.  The very best villains are the ones who believe they are doing good, and Elsa thinks she is protecting her sister and the world by staying away.  But you can see how her isolation has led to anger and hurt that over time would create a bitter, twisted creature.  We're shown only the beginning of that transformation, and it's interrupted by Anna's self-sacrificial love.

There you have it - my favorite movie of the year - chock-full of real wisdom that goes against the conventional wisdom that we so often get in movies.



1 comment:

  1. Michael Cacioppo and Antoinette 'Toni' Bailey like this.
    Matt Brennan My latest post is up, extolling the wisdom of "Frozen".
    Yesterday at 2:46pm · Like · 1
    Randy Mary Freeman Lyle I agree, great movie to talk about with the kids. Just wish they would've left out some of the language and violence (just a tad) and gotten a G rating. OH well, G's are a thing of the past. love the blog btw.
    Yesterday at 6:10pm · Like
    Sarah R. Schulz Just saw it, it's amazing.
    Yesterday at 6:13pm · Like
    Sarah R. Schulz I'm having trouble posting on your blog, so I'll just make my point here: you're right that Elsa is the character that *could have* been a villain, that we see her taking steps that would eventually lead her there. BUT--and this is very personal for me, so pardon any leaky emotions--I've never met another character in any work of fiction more like myself. She's not isolating herself out of pride or out of bitterness or out of anger (although she eventually displays all of these). She's doing it because she loves other people, and because other people taught her that she cannot be who she really is (even to the extent of learning to actually control her power) without harming them. She's the Christian "good girl" who finally goes so far in trying to hide her true self that she has to break some rules to even become able to understand that it's possible to control her power in ways that won't harm others OR herself. That she is not, in her very being, a monster. I agree with the points you make in your post... except that I think the most amazing thing about the film is that Elsa is not the villain. She's allowed to have her own hero's journey of growth. The anxiety-ridden "good girl" is not excepted from the salvation of love, not even after she tries to accomplish her own.
    Yesterday at 7:07pm · Like
    Antoinette 'Toni' Bailey i really like th name of ur blog j. matt!!!
    Yesterday at 7:35pm · Like
    Matt Brennan Sarah R. Schulz, I absolutely agree with you. May I recommend the book Pastrix to you, not necessarily for the theology, but for the author's journey to understanding that God wants her to be exactly who she is, and not repressing all of the things that make her unique.
    Yesterday at 10:18pm · Like · 1
    Matt Brennan P.S. I've fixed the blog so anyone can comment now - thanks for letting me know.
    Yesterday at 10:19pm · Like
    Sarah R. Schulz Oh, thanks! It should have let me comment--I do have a WordPress ID and all that. But it was being sticky for some reason. Thank you!
    Yesterday at 10:20pm · Like

    ReplyDelete