Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Lessons from Ubering # 2: The Zen of driving in traffic

One of the first things I noticed as an Uber driver is that I don't mind traffic when I'm driving someone else.

Like many people, I have my moments of anger and frustration and flipping out while in traffic.  Especially on the 405 ... ugh, that 101 to 405 interchange - can't we come up with something better!?!

But when I'm driving someone else?  When I'm getting paid to sit in that same traffic?  I don't mind at all.  I'm  happy as a clam to sit there, slowly inching forward.  Peaceful, even.

Which tells me something.  When I'm driving for me, it's not the traffic, per se.  I'm not upset with all of those people for being on the road.  It's not that I'm late - I usually allow plenty of time for the traffic and still arrive early to where I'm going.  So what is it?

I think it points out an inflated sense of self.  Maybe I don't think I should have to sit in that traffic.  Maybe I think the world should cater to me a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment