Friday, November 30, 2018

I'm not Cheap, I'm Simple

I was talking to some folks about Escape Rooms the other day.  They're not cheap.  For example, The Basement in Sylmar is about $35.  For one hour of fun.  And nobody loves games more than me, but $35?  I'd rather go to someone's house and play a game.  Or even buy an 'escape the room' game for $20, which takes longer and then you can give it to a friend to play.

Expensive pizza?  From some place like Dominico's?  A medium two-topping pizza is $18.  You know how much a medium pizza is from Domino's?  $6.  Is the Dominico's really good?  Yeah.  But honestly?  I'm just as happy eating the Domino's.

Maybe I just have simple tastes.  Maybe I'm boring.  I mean, I can see the value in sometimes spending extra money for the experience.  But more and more, as I honestly evaluate my level of appreciation or happiness at the time of the experience, I'm just as happy with the cheaper option.  Plus, it's ... you know, cheaper.

Not that I don't splurge on some things.  I'm pretty happy with the music I have in my library, but I will buy new songs if I really like them.

One big question right now is whether I'm going to take a trip to Japan.  I know people who are going to be living there for a year, and there's an open invitation to visit and stay with them.  I'm sure Japan is amazing and I do love this family, but ... I'm also pretty happy just staying home.  Plus there's taking time off of work and finding someone to take care of my cat and stuff like that.  So now you've got extra headache and expense just for an experience that I'm not convinced will make me any happier than simply staying home.

I dunno.  I'm a logical person, and I have to do the math - the emotional math, if you will.  And the more I look inward, the more I find I'm pretty content already.


No comments:

Post a Comment