Wednesday, April 26, 2017

What's Your Interior Monologue Like?

I'm always fascinated by the different ways in which we experience the world.  And here's another one.  What is your interior monologue like?  How do you process your conscious thoughts?

Some examples I've come across:

Two people I've spoken to tend to have conversations in their heads, between themselves and various other people, wherein they play out both sides of the conversation.

One friend described his thoughts as analyzing his own emotions, as well as trying to analyze how he thinks others feel about him.

Another friend thinks primarily in lists.  List of things to do, or what he would want to convey in a conversation or just ranking his favorite albums.

One woman focuses mostly on how she wants her life to be structured.

Another guy views his life like he's in the Truman show.  It's 'as if' there are hidden cameras all around, and he frequently finds himself narrating what he's doing.

Another friend told me about how she used to have lots of negative messages running through her head, telling her that people probably wouldn't like her.  But she has replaced that with positive messages that she tells herself about how God views her.

Her husband says his inner thoughts are mostly dialogues with God.

Another friend reports that he mostly asks himself questions.

One young guy said he doesn't really have much of an interior monologue.  He goes on instinct.

And me?  Most of my thoughts resemble a courtroom prosecutor.  Whether it's reviewing some interaction from earlier in the day or trying to piece together the plot for a new story, I find myself making logical arguments, laying out a case.  Sometimes that's directed towards an imaginary person.  But often it's one side of my brain making the case to the other side.  I very much sense a dichotomy in my brain, in which there's the active, conscious thoughts, which are usually directed at another part, which tends to nod and agree.

Also, I'm sarcastic with myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment